I become nostalgic when I think of carrot halwa, amma used to make it with regularly. Those days we did not even know that red carrots did exist ,no google no blogs. Amma came to know of this carrot halwa through a neighbour.From then she used to make it for us now and then .I was a big fan of this halwa(till today I am) even though I was not fond of milk.Its winter time and we see the red carrots or Delhi carrots in the market, my kiddo was at the back of me to post a sweet recipe for Christmas and New year . So thought of posting a sweet for New year and prepared this . Amma used to make this in the pressure cooker, but I used a non stick kadai.It is a very humble dish which calls for ingredients that are available easily in every house.Wish you all a Happy New year and may this year bring in all the joy.
- Heat 1 tsp ghee in a kadai , fry the cashews and keep it aside.In the same kadai add some more ghee and add the grated carrots and saute well till raw smell leaves.
- Now add the the milk and cook till all the milk is absorbed.You can add the sugar and stir well till it mixes well with the carrot and milk .Stir till everything comes together and reaches the halwa consistency
- Garnish with roasted cashews and serve hot or cold.It tastes great when served with vanila icecream(Yum).
- You can reduce the amount of sugar if the carrots are sweet.
- Using condensed milk enhances the taste, you can reduce the milk to 1/2 cup and add 2 tbsp of condenced milk.
- You are free to add kesar colour if you want your halwa to be bright.(I didn't)
- We can try this halwa with regular carrots but colour may differ.