After having heavy meals for the past 2 or 3 days thanks to pongal celebrations we wanted to have something light as well as easy to cook,so chose to prepare this simple peas poriyal.Now the Vegetable market is loaded with lots and lots of fresh green peas soI am tempted to prepare various dishes that use peas as peas are seasonal and are available only for few more months.Not that they are not available at other times but they aren't fresh as in this season.Moreover I hear people say that all vegetables and fruits are best had when they are in season.Whenever I prepare this poriyal I am reminded of my uncle who was a great fan of this poriyal. This poriyal used to be prepared almost 3 times a week just for him.
Now coming to the health benefits of green peas they are one of the most nutritious leguminous vegetable rich in phyto -nutrients, minerals, vitamins and anti-oxidants.Green peas are a rich source of folic acid,vitamin c ,B-complex and vitamin k.They play a great role in protection against stomach cancer.As against the belief that peas due to their sweet taste are not fit for diabetic patients , it has a low glycemic index and are diabetic friendly.Now with no more ramblings off to the recipe.
- Pressure cook the peas with a pinch of salt and some water for 2 whistles or till done (soft but not mushy).Drain the water from the peas and reserve that water.
- Heat oil in a kadai add the items in to temper list followed by the onions and a pinch of salt and saute well.Now you can add the reserved water to the onions let them cook.
- Add the cooked peas after all the water has dried up check for salt ,switch of the stove and add the grated coconut ,mix well and serve with sambhar/rasam rice.
- This recipe suits best for fresh peas not for dried ones.
- You can opt for a no onion version also .
- You can even add regular onions but shallots or chinna vengayam tastes better.
- A tip to retain the green color even after pressure cooking is to release the pressure manually by cooling it down and releasing it immediately .